How-to: Test drive a used car
When you are in the market for a new or used vehicle, it can be overwhelming trying to decide what kind of vehicle you want and how much you can afford. Once you have that narrowed down and have a possible vehicle picked out, it is important to take it for a test drive (or two) to make sure that it is in good shape. But what do you need to look and listen for to determine if the car is in good shape? Check out these tips on how to successfully test drive a used car.
Read More: How powerful is the 2017 Buick Enclave?
- Open the hood: Pop the hood to look for signs of maintenance to be sure that the vehicle has been cared for. Check the oil and transmission levels to makes sure the fluids have been maintained and lay down to look under the vehicle both when it is running and when it is off to make sure there are no fluid leaks.
- Check the tires: Make sure the tire treads are even across all four tires and that there is enough tread left to give you traction while you are driving. Check the tire pressure as well to ensure the tires are safely inflated.
- Listen carefully: Turn off the radio in the car so that you can hear the sounds of the car. Be sure to make note of any noises that don’t sound normal, such as rumbling, squeaking when you press on the brakes or clunking noises. Vary your speed so that you can listen for issues at a range of speeds.
- Take your time: Don’t feel rushed into making a decision. You can test drive the vehicle more than once before you make up your mind. Be sure to drive at low and high speeds, make turns and start and stop while you are driving so that you can be confident that the vehicle is in good shape.
- Get a second opinion: if you aren’t comfortable looking under the hood or inspecting the vehicle yourself, talk to the seller and bring the vehicle to a mechanic you trust to do the inspection for you.
At the end of the day, you are the one paying for the vehicle, so you need to make sure you are comfortable with your decision. Here at Palmen Buick GMC Cadillac, we have a large variety of vehicles on our lot, and our service department is fully equipped to do repairs and standard maintenance. If you are interested in any of the vehicles on our lot, you can call us or set up a test drive appointment online today!