Safety tips for pulling a trailer
Pulling a trailer can be a stressful, dangerous thing if you are not properly equipped or prepared to handle the load. Learn how to safely pull a trailer following these tips!
Read More: What’s the difference between GMC SUVs?
Tips to pull a trailer safely
Many GMC SUVs and trucks, and even the Buick Enclave, have towing capabilities that make it possible to tow a trailer, camper or boat, and so much more. But just because it is possible doesn’t make it safe, which is why we’ve compiled a list to help you tow safely!
- Know your limits and don’t exceed them: Know and understand the towing limits of your vehicle, and be sure you are always well within them. Keep in mind the gross vehicle weight rating for your vehicle as well to ensure your gross combination weight rating is not over the limit.
- Pay attention to your specific vehicle’s capabilties: Different body styles, tow hitches, bed lengths, drivetrains and other equipment all play a part in the vehicle’s towing capacity, so be sure you know the limits for your specific model and equipment.
- Load your trailer properly: Make sure the weight is properly distributed, with approximately 60% of the weight placed on the front half of the trailer, and make sure weight is evenly distributed between the left and right sides.
- Check your tires, lights, and brakes: Tires that are not properly inflated can affect the handling and capabilities of your vehicle and trailer. Make sure your vehicle and your trailer have properly inflated tires set to the recommended PSI. Ensure the taillights and markers on your trailer are working properly for your safety and visibility on the road, especially at night. Check your brakes to ensure trailer brakes are working properly, especially when towing heavier loads.
- Adjust side mirrors: Make sure you have a clear view that shows you the end of the trailer and sides of your vehicle to help you keep tabs on other vehicles on the road.
Following these tips will help you prepare for and haul loads with your GMC or Buick vehicle with confidence and safety. Drivers with questions or concerns can contact a member of the Palmen Buick GMC Cadillac team today!