What do I do when my engine overheats?
At some point or another, we’ve all dealt with annoying car issues. Some are even much more frustrating than others, like when dealing with engine issues. While these problems can be rare, it’s smart to know how to handle the situation if it ever arises. So, what do I do when my engine overheats?
To make things simple, we wanted to give you a quick guide on what to do if your engine starts overheating.
- First, pull over to a safe spot on the road and shut off the vehicle.
- Since the engine and hood are still hot, wait a while until the car has cooled down before inspecting the problem.
- Check your owner’s manual if you’re unsure of where the coolant reservoir tank is, but first, check the coolant/antifreeze level in the radiator. However, make sure the radiator cap has cooled down before filling the radiator with coolant.
- Next, double check the radiator hoses to see if anything is broken, malfunctioning or disconnected.
- Try restarting the engine, and then keep a close eye on your car’s temperature gauge.
We hope this helps you out, but in case you’re still having a tough time, be sure to visit your local dealership for assistance. For example, we here at Palmen Buick GMC Cadillac have highly skilled technicians that can help get your vehicle looking and driving as good as new.
Now that you know what to do when your engine overheats, you can learn more tips and tricks by following our blog.